Saturday 5 October 2013

Hiking Kananaskis Country, Chester Lake

So, this is not our first hiking expedition in the Canadian Rockies, but Chris insisted that we get the pictures up ASAP, because 10 minutes up the mountain, what did we find, in early October? That is right. Snow. On October 5th. [Winter is coming!!] I can't tell you all how many times since we started dating that I've found myself hiking up a mountain in the snow. I should really just accept it at this point and stop being surprised when it happens.



The Kananaskis are not quite as famous as Banff, but these are still some very serious mountains, folks, and the pictures we took really do not do them justice. We hiked up to Chester Lake, which is still a reasonably popular route this late in the season. The pros of hiking well-loved trails is that with lots of people around, you do not have to worry about being eaten or maimed by grizzly bears so much. The cons are that the snow is well-tramped down, which increases the odds of you falling on your a#$ on the way down, and also that the hordes of college students jogging up and then back down the mountain make you realize that you are an inveterate couch-potato/human sloth who really needs to get more exercise.

Just starting out! Check out that GIANT parking lot. Good thing it was cold and cloudy, or we might've had to wait in line??

I think these are firs but am not sure, will have to get a book. The little ones look exactly like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

Misty mountaintops

The view at lunch


Me, looking like I'm not having any fun. I am having fun; I am not aware I'm being photographed.

View coming down the mountain. Had to muscle away two other amateur photographers with much better cameras in order to get this shot.











1 comment: